Update: Due to recent events in Haiti, this mission trip has been postponed. Please join us in praying diligently for Haiti July 23-31 as they undergo transition and address political crises and social unrest.
July 23-31, 2021 – Mission Trip to Haiti
(Sponsored by Chicago Friends of Haiti)
On July 23-31, 2021 a team of volunteers from Faith Community Church (West Chicago, IL) will serve on a mission trip to Cavaillon, Haiti.
Haiti is a country of political instability, natural disasters, and where lack of infrastructure has led to Haiti being the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
Our team of volunteers will partner with Chicago Friends of Haiti, a well-established local ministry that works with the Haitian-American organization El Shaddai Ministries International. Together they have helped start 169 churches, establish 10 orphanages, dig wells and install water purification systems, and provide much needed medical care for orphanages and poor neighborhoods throughout Haiti.
What is the purpose of the Chicago Friends of Haiti mission trip?
- To encourage and provide assistance for the ongoing ministry in Haiti.
- To give pastors, leaders, and lay people in our churches an opportunity to experience first-hand the exciting and exponentially growing ministry of the gospel in Haiti and contribute to the work there.
- To cultivate a greater spirit of unity among the churches in the Chicago Metro Presbytery and other churches.
- To spiritually encourage and challenge church members with a vision and passion for the work of mission in general.
What will we be doing?
- Addressing medical/dental needs, particularly among the Cavaillon orphanage.
- Helping install water purification systems & assisting in the construction of a medical clinic.
- Hosting vacation bible school activities.
- Providing training and teaching for Haitian pastors.
Who can participate?
Anyone 15 years and older (children 12-14 may attend with an accompanying parent).
What is the cost?
The cost of this trip is approximately $2,200 per person. Here is the breakdown of costs:
1) The cost of airfare from Chicago to Miami to Port au Prince and back (approximately $800).
2) Food and Housing in Haiti ($865)
3) Ground transportation to Les Cayes and back to Port au Prince ($100).
4) Ground transportation in Miami to and from hotel ($30)
5) Baggage fee ($65 for two bags)
6) Overnight at motel in Miami ($175)
7) Group T shirt (details to follow) ($10)
8) Tips for drivers, porters, translators, staff, and special needs ($50)
9) Haiti Entrance fee at customs ($10)
10) Administrative Costs ($145)
There is also the cost for meals in the airports and the cost of prescriptions and inoculations.
How do I pay for the trip?
- Each person will be responsible for raising their own support. However, the church will be seeking to raise funds to support those who will be going on the trip.
- It is recommended that those who will be participating will begin raising their personal support in March.
- For a support-raising template, please email Rosa (churchoffice[at]faithchurchwc[dot]org).
- You will be responsible to pay for you own airfare. The last day to make hotel and airline registration to reserve your spot for the trip is May 9. Flight and hotel information will be provided in advance. The rest of the funds (except for meal costs, T shirts and baggage fees) are due by June 20 and payable to El Shaddai Ministries International (or just “ESMI”).
Is there training involved?
It is expected that everyone going on this trip will participate in three Saturday morning team meetings: June 5, June 26, and July 10. These will be 9:00am-11:30am at locations to be announced. If you want to go but have trouble with the dates of these team meetings you will need to communicate with the team leader, Ted Powers. Please note that training dates and times are subject to change.
Do I need a passport?
Yes. If you don’t have a passport or if your passport has expired, please make the necessary steps asap to make sure you have your passport on time for you to travel.
How do I get signed up?
- Contact Pastor Rhett to indicate you are interested or committed to being a part of the team.
- By March, at the latest, Ted Powers will provide the specific flight information for the trip. Commitments are made by making hotel and airline reservations by May 9 (Mother’s Day). The entire team MUST be on the same flight in and out of Port au Prince.
What are the dates I need to keep in mind?
February 28 (deadline): Contact Pastor Rhett to let him know you would like to go on the mission trip.
March-April: Raise support for the trip
May 9 (deadline): Last day to make hotel and airline registration to reserve your spot for the trip. Flight and hotel information will be provided in advance.
June 5 (subject to change): Training session (9:00am-11:30am)
June 20 (deadline): Remainder of funds due for trip
June 26 (subject to change): Training session (9:00am-11:30am)
July 10 (subject to change): Training session (9:00am-11:30am)
July 23-31: Haiti mission trip!
I can’t go on the trip, but want to help. What can I do?
- Pray that the Lord will continue to spread his Gospel powerfully throughout the country of Haiti.
- Pray that God would strengthen, encourage, and provide for the staff and children of the orphanages and churches of El Shaddai Ministries International.
- Pray that God would raise up the team to share the love of Christ in Haiti by serving on this one-week mission trip to Haiti.
- Pray for God’s protection before, during and after the trip.
- Through our website: faithchurchwc.org (click “Give Online”). If you give through our website, please email or contact us to let us know that the funds are for the “Haiti Mission Trip.”
- By check: Please make check payable to Faith Community Church (910 Main St. West Chicago, IL 60185).
Where do I find more information?
- Call our or email our church office: (630) 231-8230, [email protected]
- Watch the 9-minute Chicago Friends of video
- Watch our Informational meeting from January 31, 2021